Bok Bok

It happened.

My chicken coop is done! And it has chickens in it! Chickens!

It started as a Christmas gift from Alastair. We chose a part of the garden and he and Jeff dug in and cemented in the posts (this chicken coop is forever, baby).

It was halted by some bad weather.

But not for long.

And some Herculean effort by Alastair, Melissa and I saw off the coop outside completion.

Next came the hen house – built by re-using large elements of the twins’ now-outgrown playhouse, Alastair started work.

And then it got painted many times with weather-resistant paint.

It’s done really well – the roof comes off for easy cleaning.

The sides come up for easy cleaning.

The nesting box lid comes up for easy access to eggs and easy cleaning (if you see a pattern here, it’s because I “hen sat” for a neighbor who has hens a few weeks back, and there were valuable lessons learnt about the hens’ messiness).

And then my very clever stepdaughter painted the hen house to look like a gingerbread house, which I thought was a stroke of genius.

My gingerbread painting chicken coop is ready!

It was then time.

We went to a local poultry farm and brought back three chickens. The first one (an escape expert whose wing I clipped this morning), a breed called Campine which is thus named Charles Darwin:

A fluffy, dozy, docile while Sussex named Mathilda:

And a type called a Bluebelle, which has been named Rick Grimes.

I have a chicken coop. And three hens. And in two weeks’ time, three ex-battery, caged rescue hens are joining (they have already been named – they are Henry, Rapunzel, and Buffy the Vampire Layer. Every member of this family got to choose a name for a hen, some of the choices will be obvious who chose them!). We’ve already been told they’ll be in rough shape, will be timid, and will be without feathers. To which end my lovely neighbor has started knitting hen jumpers in anticipation, as they’ll be without defences for bit.

I have wanted to have chickens for years, it’s finally here, and I am beside myself.

-S.

PS – People have been emailing and asking, and no, I’ve not quit yet. I am going to stop blogging this year, that much is true. It’s not just yet, although trust me when I tell you that when I hang up the proverbial keyboard, I’ll be clear about it. I’m still here. Just.

15 Responses to “Bok Bok”

1. Potty Mummy says:

Hen jumpers! I love it! As I also do the fabulously painted hen house – your stepdaughter should go into business customising playhouses etc.

2. Siera says:

I love it! Been awhile since I’ve been around. Hope you don’t stop blogging, but you do what’s right for you! Happy New Year Shannon!

3. Sigivald says:

Gingerbread… or voodoo?

I think I like the idea of Voodoo Chickens.

4. Michele says:

Love this! Hoping that we can get some pics of the chickens in their jumpers? Enjoy!

5. a says:

It looks like a very lovely chicken home! Did she freehand the paint, or was it stencils? Either way, it looks very fanciful. I’m sure the rescue chickens will love their new home. I’m guessing you’re responsible for Buffy the Vampire Layer…

6. D says:

Chickens still freak me out. But I’m glad your dream has been realized. Still – keep an eye on them. And for the love of god, don’t show them Chicken Run.

7. Jennifer says:

I had this thought when I woke up this morning: Married with Chickens

8. statia says:

I’m kind of there too. Blogging is kind of a chore anymore.

9. Mama Pants says:

I’m still chortling. “Bok Bok”. Yeah – perfect title. And the gingerbread house is perfectly beautiful. And the chickens’ names made me wet my pants.

10. Paula says:

So lovely, the chicken’s house. What about their natural enemies? Couldn’t they climb up the fence and come in from above? I think about the stories my father in law told us about his battles against greedy foxes and martens, finding their way by digging and climbing up…

11. Lea says:

That is so awesome. I would love to have a chicken coop. I can’t wait to see your bounty of eggs! :) Congratulations!

12. kristen says:

Awesome coop! We have a few old hens that no longer lay eggs. So, my husband ordered 25 chicks to be delivered next week. You’ve convinced me our coop needs a paint job!

13. Johanna says:

Your stepdaughter is genius! The hen house looks so pretty! I just moved to a farm and I am so getting hens next summer! ;)

(Love that you’re still blogging! )

14. kenju says:

I will be very sad when you quit.

Love the coop! The girl did a great job with the paint.

15. Tina says:

Please don’t stop. Or at least write a few books so that I can continue to read you.

Thanks for commenting

Where have I been all this time?

The stuff I write about!